Welcome to the 45th Senate of the Academic Council. Here you can keep up to date with Senate actions and discussions, and view all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 2012-13 year.
Ray Levitt, Senate Chair
Ray Levitt is the Kumagai Professor in the School of Engineering and Senior Fellow at the Woods Institute for the Environment. Professor Levitt graduated from Witwatersrand University in South Africa with a BSCE Cum Laude. He did his graduate work at Stanford, earning his PhD in 1975. He has been at Stanford since 1980 and served in the Senate for 5 years, including 2 years on the Steering Committee and one year on the Committee on Committees.
45th Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Levitt are
- Professor David Palumbo-Liu, Comparative Literature, vice chair
- Professor Linda Boxer, Medicine
- Professor Michele Elam, English
- Professor Susan Holmes, Statistics
- Associate Professor (Teaching) Jay Mitchell, Law
- Senior Fellow Stephen Stedman, Freeman Spogli Institute
- Professor Mark Zoback, Geophysics
- Provost John Etchemendy, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Rex Jamison, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
President Hennessy convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Information on parlimentary procedures, Senate charter and history of the Senate.