33rd Faculty Senate
Welcome to the 33rd Senate of the Academic Council
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 2000-01 year.
Brad Osgood, Senate Chair
The Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs in the School of Engineering and Professor of Electrical Engineering and, by courtesy, in Education, Brad Osgood has extensive university service: he's served in the Senate for 15 years, including 5 years on the Steering Committee as well as serving on the Committee on Academic Computing and Information Systems, the Committee on Libraries, the Committee on Committees, and the Committee on Undergraduate Majors. Professor Osgood earned his PhD in Mathematics from the University of Michigan, joining the Stanford faculty in 1985 where he works on topics in complex analysis, differential geometry and signal processing.
33rd Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Osgood are
- Professor John Taylor, Economics, vice chair
- Professor David Freyberg, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor Charlotte Jacobs, Medicine - Oncology
- Professor Hazel Markus, Psychology
- Professor John Rickford, Linguistics
- Professor Debra Satz, Philosophy
- Provost John Etchemendy, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Susan Schofield, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
The President convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Annual Academic Council Minutes of March 8, 2001
Schedule of Meetings of Senate XXXIII
School of Law, Room 180, Thursday, 3:15pm
The Senate meets biweekly during the academic year. Senators should be aware that if special meetings of the Senate need to be scheduled, which occurs infrequently, they will be scheduled on the intervening Thursdays.
|Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter|
Administrative Sessions of the StC on Behalf of the Senate
The StC holds administrative sessions on an as needed basis to hear routine or administrative matters that would otherwise come before the full Senate. This allows the Senate to spend more time on issues that need broader discussion and debate prior to action. All Senators are welcome to attend administrative sessions.
Highlights of the 33rd Senate include
- Revision to the charge to the Committee on Research from the Committee on Committees
- Report on Undergraduate Advising
- Report on Faculty Housing programs
- Report on Child Care
- Report from the Director of SLAC
- Recommendation for Policy on Minimum Progress Requirements for Graduate Students and Guidelines for Dismissal of Graduate Students for Academic Reasons, from the Committee on Graduate Studies and the Committee on Academic Appraisal and Achievement
- Discussion of Proposed Reorganization of the Language and Literature Departments
- Proposal for Revised Undergraduate Writing Requirement
5/3/01 and 5/17/01
- Stanford in the Community