44th Faculty Senate
Welcome to the 44th Senate of the Academic Council.
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 2011-12 year.
Rosemary Knight, Senate Chair
Rosemary Knight is the George L. Harrington Professor of Geophysics in the School of Earth Sciences. Educated at Queen's University in Ontario, Canada, and Stanford, she has been at Stanford since 2000 and also serves on the University Budget Group. From 2010 onwards she has been the chair of the United States Department of Energy's Earth Sciences Council. Her research interests include groundwater resources. She has served in the Senate for 6 years and 4 years on the Committee on Undergraduate Standards and Policy.
44th Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Knight are
- Professor Russell Berman, German Studies, vice chair
- Professor Blas Cabrera, Physics
- Professor Michele Elam, English
- Professor Elizabeth Hadly, Biology
- Professor Ray Levitt, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor Joseph Lipsick, Pathology
- Professor Tom Wasow, Linguistics
- Provost John Etchemendy, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Rex Jamison, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
President Hennessy convenes the Academic Council Faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
No Annual Academic Council Meeting for 2011-12
2011-12 Schedule of Meetings of Senate XLIV
School of Law, Room 180, Thursday, 3:15pm
The Senate meets biweekly during the academic year. Senators should be aware that if special meetings of the Senate need to be scheduled, which occurs infrequently, they will be scheduled on the intervening Thursdays.
|Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter|
Administrative Sessions of the StC on Behalf of the Senate
The StC holds administrative sessions on an as needed basis to hear routine or administrative matters that would otherwise come before the full Senate. This allows the Senate to spend more time on issues that need broader discussion and debate prior to action. All Senators are welcome to attend administrative sessions.
44th Senate Highlights
Highlights of the 44th Senate include
- The Study of Undergraduate Education at Stanford (SUES) report
- Dean of Earth Sciences, Pam Matson's report
- Outgoing Dean of Medicine Philip Pizzo's report
- Revisions to the Conflict of Interest Policy and Revisions to the Policy on Consulting and Other Outside Professional Activities
- The Committee on Undergraduate Standards and Policy's recommendations on the Freshman Year (3/8/12), general education requirements (5/3/12) and revisions to the writing requirements (5/17/12)
- Discussion on online education