Welcome to the 34th Senate of the Academic Council
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 2001-02 year.
John Rickford, Senate Chair
John Rickford, the E. Wallace Sterling Professor in the Humanities and Professor, by courtesy, of Education, served in the Senate for 4 years, including 2 years on the Steering Committee and the committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid. At Stanford since 1980, his linguistic research focuses on the application of lingustics to ethnic identity and social class. Professor Rickford received his PhD from the University of Pennsylvania.
34th Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Rickford are
- Professor Henry Greely, Law, vice chair
- Professor Hans Andersen, Chemistry
- Professor Keith Baker, History
- Professor Russell Berman, German Studies
- Professor Luis Fraga, Political Science
- Professor Jeffrey Koseff, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor George Parker, Graduate School of Education
- Provost John Etchemendy, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Susan Schofield, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
President Hennessy convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Information on parlimentary procedures, Senate charter and history of the Senate.