Welcome to the 46th Senate of the Academic Council. Here you can keep up to date with Senate actions and discussions, and view all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 2013-14 year.
David Palumbo-Liu, Senate Chair
David Palumbo-Liu is the Louise Hewlett Nixon Professor of Comparative Literature, and, by courtesy, English, in the School of Humanities and Sciences. Professor Palumbo-Liu received his BA, MA and PhD in Comparative Literature from U.C. Berkeley. At Stanford since 1990, his work focuses on race and ethnicity, particularly Asian and Asian Pacific American studies, and cultural criticism. He has an extensive service record at Stanford, having been in the Senate for 8 years, including 4 years on the Steering Committee and two years on the Committee on Committees, including one as chair. Professor Palumbo-Liu has also chaired the Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid as well as serving on the Committee on Undergraduate Standards and Policy.
46th Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Palumbo-Liu are
- Professor Andrew Fire, Molecular and Genetic Medicine, vice chair
- Professor Albert Camarillo, History
- Professor Yakov Eliashberg, Mathematics
- Professor David Freyberg, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor Hank Greely, Law
- Professor Paula Moya, English
- Professor David Spiegel, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- Provost John Etchemendy, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Rex Jamison, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
President Hennessy convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Annual Academic Council Minutes of April 17, 2014