Welcome to the 30th Senate of the Academic Council
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 1997-98 year.
Frances Conley, Senate Chair
Now Professor of Neurosurgery, Emerita, Frances Conley joined the Stanford Faculty in 1975, having earned her bachelor's degree here, her medical degree at the School of Medicine and her master’s at the Graduate School of Business at Stanford. The first female full professor of neurosurgery in the country, her research examined brain tumor immunology. She served in the Senate for 8 years, including 1 year on the Steering Committee and 5 years on the Advisory Board (the committee which handles promotions and tenure)
30th Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Conley are
- Professor Hans C. Andersen, Chemistry
- Professor Keith Baker, History
- Professor Russell Berman,m German Studies
- Professor Luis Fraga, Political Science
- Professor Jeffrey Koseff, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Professor George Parker, Graduate School of Business
- Provost Condoleezza Rice, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Susan Schofield, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
The President convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Information on parlimentary procedures, Senate charter and history of the Senate.