Welcome to the 31st Senate of the Academic Council
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 1998-1999 year.
Brad Efron, Senate Chair
Brad Efron, the Max H. Stein Professor and Professor of Statistics and of Health Research and Policy, received his M.S. and PhD in Statistics from Stanford. His research focuses on Biostatistics and statistical methods in Astrophysics. He has served in the Senate for 13 years, spent 9 years on the Advisory Board (the committee which handles promotions and tenure) and 2 years on the Steering Committee. He has been at Stanford since 1961.
31st Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Efron are
- Professor Elisabeth Pate-Cornell, Industrial Engineering, vice chair
- Professor Hans Anderson, Chemistry
- Professor Harry Elam, Drama
- Professor Ted Harris, Medicine/Immunology
- Professor Roger Noll, Economics
- Professor George Parker, Graduate School of Business
- Provost Condoleezza Rice, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Susan Schofield, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
The President convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Information on parlimentary procedures, Senate charter and history of the Senate.