38th Faculty Senate
Welcome to the 38th Senate of the Academic Council
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 2005-06 year.
Eric Roberts, Senate Chair
Eric Roberts, the Charles Simonyi Professor in the School of Engineering and Professor of Computer Science, received his PhD from Harvard. His research focuses on computer science education. A prolific university citizen, he has served in the Senate for 12 years, including a year on the Steering Committee and 1 year on the Committee on Committees as well as time on the Committee on Review of Undergraduate Majors, and the Committee on Undergraduate Standards and Policies. He has been at Stanford since 1990.
38th Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Roberts are
- Professor Albert Camarillo, History, vice chair
- Professor Gunnar Carlsson, Mathematics
- Professor Charlotte Jacobs, Medicine - Oncology
- Professor Gail Mahood, Geological and Environmental Sciences
- Professor Evan Porteus, Graduate School of Business
- Professor Gavin Wright, Economics
- Provost John Etchemendy, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Edward Harris, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
President Hennessy convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Annual Academic Council Minutes April 20, 2006
Schedule of Meetings of Senate XXXVIII
School of Law, Room 180, Thursday, 3:15pm
The Senate meets biweekly during the academic year. Senators should be aware that if special meetings of the Senate need to be scheduled, which occurs infrequently, they will be scheduled on the intervening Thursdays.
|Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter|
Administrative Sessions of the StC on Behalf of the Senate
The StC holds administrative sessions on an as needed basis to hear routine or administrative matters that would otherwise come before the full Senate. This allows the Senate to spend more time on issues that need broader discussion and debate prior to action. All Senators are welcome to attend administrative sessions.
Highlights of the 38th Senate include
- Commission on Graduate Education
- Emergency Preparedness from Environmental Health and Safety
- Discussion on University Public Affairs
- Report from the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid
- Google Digitization Project
- Revision of the Scientific Misconduct Policy from the Committee on Research
- Provost's reports on Faculty Gains, Status of Women Faculty and Faculty Recruitment and Retention