39th Faculty Senate
Welcome to the 39th Senate of the Academic Council
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 2006-07 year.
Sheri Sheppard, Senate Chair
Sheri Sheppard is the Burton J and Deedee McMurtry University Fellow in Undergraduate Education and Professor of Mechanical Engineering. She earned her PhD from the University of Michigan. At Stanford Professor Sheppard investigates weld fatigue and impact failures and other aspects of structural integrity. She has served in the Senate for 7 years, including a year on the Steering Committee, 2 years on the Committee on Committees, serving on the Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid and the Committee on Undergraduate Studies (a precursor to the Committe on Undergraduate Standards and Polices and the Committee on Review of Undergraduate Majors). She has been at Stanford since 1986.
39th Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Sheppard are
- Professor Rusell Berman, German Studies, vice chair
- Professor Timothy Bresnahan, Economics
- Professor Karen Cook, Sociology
- Professor Stephen Hinton, Music
- Professor Susanna Loeb, Education
- Professor David Stevenson, Pediatrics
- Provost John Etchemendy, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Edward Harris, ex officio
Annual Academic Council Meeting
President Hennessy convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Annual Academic Council Minutes of May 17, 2007
Schedule of Meetings of Senate XXXIX
School of Law, Room 180, Thursday, 3:15pm
The Senate meets biweekly during the academic year. Senators should be aware that if special meetings of the Senate need to be scheduled, which occurs infrequently, they will be scheduled on the intervening Thursdays.
|Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter|
Administrative Sessions of the StC on Behalf of the Senate
The StC holds administrative sessions on an as needed basis to hear routine or administrative matters that would otherwise come before the full Senate. This allows the Senate to spend more time on issues that need broader discussion and debate prior to action. All Senators are welcome to attend administrative sessions.
Highlights of the 39th Senate include
- Report from the Director of Athletics
- Graduate Student Diversity
- Proposal for Changes to the Academic Calendar, from the Committee on Graduate Studies and the Committee on Undergraduate Standards and Policies
- Ethics Panel
- Study of Writing at Stanford
- Report from the Dean of the Law School
- Professorial Gains and Losses and Composition: Recruitment and Retention Survey; Status of Women Faculty
- Principles of Research Policy: Tabacco Research Funding, from the Committee on Research
- University Architect: Highlights of the 20 year plan