41st Faculty Senate
Welcome to the 41st Senate of the Academic Council
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 2009-10 year.
Karen Cook, Senate Chair
Karen Cook is the Ray Lyman Wilbur Professor of Sociology in the School of Humanities and Sciences. She studies social interaction, social networks and trust. A member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the National Academy of Sciences, she has served in the Senate for 6 years, including 2 years on the Steering Committee and 3 years on the Advisory Board, which reviews tenure and promotions. Professor Cook has been at Stanford since 1998.
41st Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Cook are
- Professor Harvey Cohen, Pediatrics vice chair
- Professor Lanier Anderson, Philosophy
- Professor Jonathan Bendor, Graduate School of Business
- Professor Margaret Brandeau, Management Science and Engineering
- Professor Harry Elam, Drama
- Professor Hank Greely, Law
- Provost John Etchemendy, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Rex Jamison, ex officio
SENATE 41 ROSTER BY NAME
SENATE 41 ROSTER BY ELECTORIAL UNIT
SENATE 41 SEATING CHART
SENATE 41 STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES
Annual Academic Council Meeting
President Hennessy convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Minutes of April 30, 2009
Schedule of Meetings of Senate XLI
School of Law, Room 180, Thursday, 3:15pm
The Senate meets biweekly during the academic year. Senators should be aware that if special meetings of the Senate need to be scheduled, which occurs infrequently, they will be scheduled on the intervening Thursdays.
|Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter|
Administrative Sessions of the StC on Behalf of the Senate
The StC holds administrative sessions on an as needed basis to hear routine or administrative matters that would otherwise come before the full Senate. This allows the Senate to spend more time on issues that need broader discussion and debate prior to action. All Senators are welcome to attend administrative sessions.
Highlights of the 41st Senate include
- Dual Career Academic Couples
- NCAA Accreditation: Analysis on Student Graduation Rates
- Revision of the Policy on Nondescrimination in Research from the Committee on Research
- Information Security Policy and Initiatives
- Update on New Facilities in the School of Medicine and How They Will Transform Research and Education
- Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education