28th Faculty Senate
Welcome to the 28th Senate of the Academic Council.
Here you can review all the agendas, minutes, reports, and memorial resolutions for the 1995-1996 year.
Gail Mahood, Senate Chair
Gail Mahood is the Professor of Geological and Environmental Sciences. She did her graduate work at U.C. Berkeley and joined the Stanford Faculty in 1979. Her research interests include silicic magmatism and volcanology. She has served in the Senate for 10 years, including 3 years on the Steering Committee as well as service on the Advisory Board (the committee which handles promotions and tenure), the Committe on Graduate Studies and the Committee on Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid.
28th Steering Committee of the Senate
The Steering Committee (StC) of the Senate sets the Senate agenda, confers degrees for the Summer, Autumn and Winter quarters, and serves at Administrative Sessions of the StC to review undergraduate and graduate programs on behalf of the Senate. StC members are elected each year by the Senate. Joining Chair Mahood are
- Professor Mike Atkin, Education
- Professor David Clayton, Developmental Biology
- Professor Alexander Fetter, Physics and Applied Physics
- Professor Joseph Goodman, Electrical Engineering
- Professor Brad Osgood, Electrical Engineering
- Professor Gavin Wright, Economics
- Provost Condoleezza Rice, ex officio
- Academic Secretary Marlene Wine, ex officio
SENATE 28 ROSTER BY NAME
SENATE 28 ROSTER BY ELECTORAL UNIT
SENATE 28 SEATING CHART
SENATE 28 STUDENT REPRESENTATIVES
Annual Academic Council Meeting
The President convenes the Academic Council faculty annually to deliver a state of the university address. The Senate Chair reports on the highlights of the Senate.
Last year's minutes
The 1996 agenda
Schedule of Meetings of Senate XXVIII
School of Law, Room 180, Thursday, 3:15pm
The Senate meets biweekly during the academic year. Senators should be aware that if special meetings of the Senate need to be scheduled, which occurs infrequently, they will be scheduled on the intervening Thursdays.
|Autumn Quarter||Winter Quarter||Spring Quarter|
Administrative Sessions of the StC on Behalf of the Senate
The StC holds administrative sessions on an as needed basis to hear routine or administrative matters that would otherwise come before the full Senate. This allows the Senate to spend more time on issues that need broader discussion and debate prior to action. All Senators are welcome to attend administrative sessions.
Highlights of the 28th Senate include
- Report from the Commission on Technology in Teaching and Learning
- Recommendation from the Committee on Academic Achievement and Appraisal for a Three Year Experiment for Education Program for Gifted Youth
- Report from the Advising Task Force
- Recommendation for the Provision of an Undergraduate Minor
- Reports and recommendations from the 1994/95 Ad Hoc Committee on the Professoriate
2/22/96, 3/7/96 and 4/4/96
- ASSU Senate Resolution requesting a University-wide review of the status and training of teaching assistants
- Proposed Amendments to General Education Requirements
- Report on Sophomore Seminars and Sophomore College
- Discussion of Planning and Policy Board recommendations related to Graduate Study
- Discussion of Planning and Policy Board recommendations relationed to Departmenntal Reviews
- Recommendation for revisions to the Policy on Secrecy in Research from the Committee on Research
- From the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education on Writing in the Major
- Discussion of Planning and Policy Board recommendations on undergraduate education, graduate education and departmental reviews
- Update from the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education on Undergraduate Advising Issues